A simple old window frame becomes the perfect DIY Patriotic Decor with chicken wire and fabric scraps. Be inspired by this DIY country primitive summertime decor!
I was recently inspired to make new use of my chicken wire window frame by using some red, white and blue fabric scraps! I knew I wanted some sort of American flag artwork for our fireplace mantle and this project definitely fit the bill!
I truly love how this turned out and it was so easy! Here is a quick tutorial:
DIY Patriotic Decor With Fabric Scraps
- Old frame with chicken wire
- Coordinating Fabrics
- Scissors or Cutting Mat/Roller
First, you’ll need a chicken wire frame. I’ve had this one I made for quite awhile now. It’s displayed jewelry at the Rustic Honey Boutique, and been the backdrop for many fireplace mantle themes like this Valentine’s Day display.
It was simply an old frame I acquired in my thrifting days and I added the chicken wire to the backside with a staple gun. Be creative! You could also use a bulletin board for this project!
- Once you’ve chosen your coordinating fabrics of white and red for the stripes, cut them into strips. My strips were 2” x 28” leaving them longer than the width of the frame for the weaving process (*my frame was about 24” wide).
- To cut the blue section, you’ll want to cut a square 5-6” wider than you’ll want the finished product. Once you have the square cut, fold it in half and cut 3” slits about half an inch apart along each side. You will use that fringed edge to tie the square to the chicken wire.
- Now that everything is cut, it’s time to tie and weave! I started with tying on the blue square in the upper left corner of the frame. Then I began to weave each strip through the chicken wire, one at a time, alternating the patterns and of course the red and white to create the stripes. You can space them out as you like.
- That’s it! You’re done! Enjoy!
I laid everything out to see how the patterns would look on the finished product.
I decided to leave some spacing between the stripes because I didn’t want to lose the chicken wire look. You could definitely fill in the entire space if you wanted to!
I guess maybe I really do have a fabric hoarding problem… but hey, I think it’s working for me! 😉
Not too shabby for a quick and painless DIY patriotic decor project! It totally fits my style and is the perfect fireplace mantle centerpiece for summertime!
Thanks for reading! I hope you’ve found some inspiration!
*This post first appeared on Frolic Magazine Blog – submitted by Rustic Honey.