So you finally scheduled a photo session for your little family! Good for you! Now, what will everyone wear?! (insert overwhelmed emoji)
The days of matching outfits have come and gone! Even I fell victim to the all-denim 90’s family portrait. I would share it with you but it’s somehow gone missing! 😉
I’ve come up with a list of tips to consider while dressing for family photos. The most important thing to remember is to have fun with it, express your family’s personality and don’t stress in the process! This should be a fun and creative way to document this sweet time in our lives!
5 Tips For Dressing For Family Photos
1. Select A Color Story: First things first, talk with your photographer about the location of your shoot so you can choose a complimentary color story. You can start from scratch by finding a color palette for inspiration for your outfits or begin with a few clothing pieces you know you want in the photos and build from there.
I came across this amazing tool for finding color palettes. Visit Design Seeds and choose palettes by color for tons of inspiration whether you are starting from scratch or have something in mind!
Here are a few examples of fun color palettes for summer:
2. Mix It Up: It’s important to create a cohesive look with your family’s outfits without compromising variety and contrast for photograph-sake. Try to vary not only the tops but also your bottoms. In this casual photo session, mom is wearing black bottoms and dad and boys are in various shades of denim and khaki pants. This adds another nice layer of contrast to their photo.
And here again, this family mixed up their pieces while also matching back to one another. Dad’s pants compliment mom’s boots, and the family is all wearing denim in a different way.
All boys? This family did a great job incorporating different looks for their little ones! Each boy has a different bottom but they all blend well with their color story!
3. Include Patterns: It’s easier to get your entire family into a solid color but don’t forget to play with patterns in your family photos! Plaids, stripes, polka dots and florals are all great timeless patterns to play with for your next photo session. Start with patterns that have similar color schemes to create a cohesive look for your family. This lovely little family has incorporated several patterns:
4. Add Texture: When outfitting your family for photographs don’t be afraid to choose intricate pieces with ruffles, lace, pleats, buttons and tulle or other detailed fabrics because they offer another layer of depth and texture to your photos. This added texture can make photos appear more life-like and interesting.
Adding a layer to complete an outfit is another great way to add more texture. This family has layered almost every outfit for their photos!
5. Showcase Your Style: Possibly the most important tip for dressing for family photos is to follow your style. Don’t just pick out something you saw on Pinterest and replicate it. And definitely don’t follow a major trend like the 90’s denim suit photos! Haha! Make sure your family’s clothing reflect their true style so you can cherish the details of your family photos for many, many years to come!
Find the right color story, add textures and patters, mix it up and have fun showcasing your unique style in your upcoming photo session! I hope you found these tips helpful!
I’ve saved these inspirations and many more on my Pinterest photography board. View it HERE for more ideas! Have fun planning your next family photo session!