It’s soup season! At least it is at our house!
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup has been in my recipe repertoire for many years now. I first made this in college on the stove-top and then in my busy commuting days, I turned it into an easy and healthy crockpot meal! It’s a winner in our house and simple enough for any night of the week!
If you saw my Instagram photo last week, you already know this recipe was in the works! And if you’ve been a blog follower for very long, you already know I love my crockpot.
That doesn’t make me a lazy cook, just a smart one!
I’ve made a variation of this soup recipe numerous times but never really wrote down the ingredients until now. It’s a simple crockpot meal idea that you can customize to your tastes. Make it mild or spicy. Make it indulgent or lighten it up. Meaty or meat-less.
You get the idea!
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4 Chicken Breasts (can use frozen)
- 1 c. Onion, Chopped
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves, Minced/Grated
- 1 c. Bell Peppers, chopped (I used a tri-color combo)
- 2 Cans Diced Tomatoes With Green Chilis
- 4 c. Chicken Broth (1 box low-sodium)
- 1 c. Frozen Corn
- 1 Can Black Beans, Drained & Rinsed
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
- Olive Oil
- 4 – 6 inch corn tortillas, cut into strips (pizza cutter works well!)
- Toppings: Jalapeños, Shredded Cheddar Cheese & Plain Greek Yogurt
- Add the first eight ingredients to the slow cooker. Season with cumin, oregano, sugar and chili powder.
- Cover and cook on high for about 3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. Remove the chicken, shred with two forks, and then return to the soup.
- Cut the corn tortillas into strips (a pizza cutter works best). Drizzle lightly with olive oil and season with salt and cumin to taste. Toss until coated and place in a 400 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes (flipping once halfway through) or until crispy.
- Serve the soup with desired toppings and tortilla strips. Creamy Option *Pictured*: When ready to serve, stir in a few dollops of plain greek yogurt or sour cream for a creamy soup finish.
This soup can be light and healthy or creamy and indulgent! Either way the flavor is there and the crispy corn tortilla strips are the icing on the cake!
Thanks for stopping by!
More Crockpot Favorites From Rustic Honey: