Do you have a “taco night” in your meal plan?
It seems like taco night has always been a go-to for me. I remember tacos being a frequent meal growing up and to this day I find myself incorporating some kind of mexican inspired dish into our meal plan almost every week!
I try to change it up here and there. Beef tacos, chicken tacos, maybe shrimp tacos…
I recently made shredded fajita chicken tacos and thought I’d share the simple recipe… if you can even call it a “recipe.”
Throw some chicken breasts into a crock-pot (can be frozen!)
Toss in some taco seasoning and a can of diced tomatoes and green chilies.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or 6 hours on low. The meat will shred so easily when done! If you haven’t tried this before, you are missing out!
Then to make them “grown-up fajita tacos,” I chop up some bell peppers and onions.
I store half of what I chopped in the freezer to pull out for another meal. HUGE time-saver!
And for those of you that weighed in on our Facebook conversation about chopping onions without crying, you’ll be happy to know I gave the candle trick a whirl during this recipe! I lit a candle and sat it right beside my cutting board. I didn’t cry! I did have to stay very close to the candle though! (I bet if I had used a more fragrant candle it would have worked even better!)
Saute the peppers and onions in some oil, with some minced garlic and a little extra taco seasoning.
Then to top it all off I make a quick pico de gallo.
Dice the tomatoes, some onion (could also sub red onion), cilantro, and the juice and zest of a lime.
Guess who forgot to grab a lime at the store! Baby wipes and diapers are occupying my list these days!
Just add 1-2 tsp of apple cider vinegar for some acidity and voila! Problem-solved!
(Side story: I picked up this phrase from my nephew, Logan. We were playing a rhyming game and he rattled off rabbit, habit… dang-nabbit! I was rolling! He is so funny and sometimes doesn’t even know it!)
I made these on a Friday evening and with some extra time I also made homemade tortillas. They are very easy but take a little time. I like to make a big batch and then use them for various meals throughout the week.
That’s it! Build a taco and call it a night! A taco night!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- ¾ pkg taco seasoning
- 3 bell peppers (green, red and yellow), sliced into strips
- ¾ large onion, sliced into strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ pkg taco seasoning
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- ¼ large onion, diced or minced
- 1-2 tsp. apple cider vinegar or the juice and zest of 1 lime
- Sour Cream
- Toss chicken, taco seasoning and diced tomatoes/chillies into the slow cooker. Cook chicken on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6 hours. Shred and serve.
- Toss sliced peppers, onions and minced garlic into oil and sauté with taco seasoning.
- Chop tomato, onion, and cilantro. Add in cider or lime zest and juice and toss to combine.
- Serve chicken on tortillas with peppers, pico and optional toppings.
Thanks for stopping in!