This Lent I chose to give up sweets and pop as part of my fasting for the forty days and forty nights. This was a serious challenge for me…I have a persistent sweet tooth (this is a hereditary condition passed along from my father)!
Though in the grand scheme of things this is a very small sacrifice, it was one way for me to reflect and remember the purpose and meaning of Lent. When Easter weekend arrived I was ready to celebrate… with sweets!
So without further adieu…
Chuncky Chocolate & Pecan Pie Cheesecake
This recipe derived from a collaboration of a few of my favorite treats. Cheesecake is one of my all-time favorite desserts to make… and eat! I also love my aunt’s chunky pecan pie bars. So I thought, why not marry the two?!?
I have found a tried and true cheesecake recipe I use every time from my grade-school cookbook. If you ever have the chance to buy a homemade cookbook as a fundraiser or keepsake I would highly suggest it! My favorite cookbook is our old St. Mary’s cookbook. My mother had purchased it for me back when I was in school and stored it away until I got married. The cookbooks were sold as a fundraiser when my sister was still in grade school there. We both attended St. Mary’s 1st-8th grade. I love looking through the old book because I can find favorite recipes from my friends’ families as well as my own. It is so fun to try everyone’s favorite foods submitted to the cookbook.
Here is how my new recipe came together:
- 1½ c. flour
- ½ c. butter or margarine
- ¼ c. packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ c. corn syrup
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 bar of semi-sweet chocolate (I use Baker’s chocolate) broken into chunks
- ½ c. pecans
- 3 (8oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ½ c. pecans,
- 1 bar semi-sweet chocolate (Baker’s) broken into chunks
- Cool Whip (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees. Grease a spring-form pan.
- Crust: Beat flour, butter and brown sugar in small bowl until crumbly. Press into the greased pan. Bake to set about 5-8 min.
- Pecan Pie Filling: Beat eggs, syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla until smooth. Stir in chunks and nuts. Pour over crust and set aside.
- Cheesecake: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually add in the sweetened condensed milk. Add eggs and vanilla, mix well. Pour final layer on top.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 50-60 minutes until set.
Hope you enjoy as much as my family and I did!
Have a great weekend!